- Celebrate that special occasion at one of our casual, fine dining restaurants complete with linen tablecloths and napkins.
- Pack a picnic basket for the beach or boat cruise.
- Enjoy delectable, gourmet sandwiches at one of our waterfront parks while watching boats go by in the channel or ponies grazing on the far shore.
- Dine after dark in the light of the Assateague Lighthouse.
- Pick up fresh local seafood at one of our seafood markets or aquafarms and have your own feast at your rental home or campsite.
Posted on 10/23/2020 by Joanne
Chincoteague is for Oyster Lovers Itinerary
Old lore said you could only eat oysters in a month with an 'R' meaning September through April. The main reasons being that cooler temperatures kept the wild oysters from spoiling and that oysters were 'fatter' during those months as they were out of their reproductive season. Thanks to modern day refrigeration and that sterile oysters are now grown in aqua farms these delicacies can be enjoyed year-round. Chincoteague Island, VA is blessed with diurnal tides which make Chincoteague oysters some of the cleanest you will find and our proximity to the Atlantic Ocean makes them the saltiest. Served in restaurants and raw bars around the globe, Chincoteague Old Salts have acquired an international following and has Chincoteague Island recognized as one of Virginia's eight distinct oyster regions! Foodies flock to Chincoteague Island to experience the famous briny bivalves and enjoy them raw, steamed, fried and frittered. From oyster tacos to Oysters Rockefeller and everything in between, oysters are on the menu of almost every restaurant and food truck on this 10.5 square mile paradise. Enjoy the comfort of choosing from a variety of dining options including dine in, dine out, take out, delivery or prepare your own from our restaurants, cafes, food trucks, seafood markets, and a plethora of food specialty shops that await you on Chincoteague Island.