Pony Shuttle Buses
Pony Shuttle Information
1. Shuttles start at 5 a.m. from Chincoteague Municipal Center at 6150 Community Drive. This service is free.
2. All visitors riding the Pony Shuttle will be taken to Veteran's Memorial Park. This is not pony landing site. If you wish to go to the landing site, you will need to walk from Veteran's Memorial Park. to Pony Swim Lane. Seating is not provided at either location. The pony landing site is marshland.
3. A large Jumbotron will be located in Veteran's Memorial Park with a live feed of the swim.
4. Volunteer Guides are available on the buses to assist you. Other Pony Shuttle volunteers will be available at various locations to assist you.
5. Please be prepared for hot and humid conditions on swim day. Bring plenty of water, sunscreen, and insect repellant. No seating is provided. The swim area at Pony Swim Lane is marshland so wear proper shoes. Flip flops are not recommended.
6. Parking for persons with disabilities is available at the Chincoteague Municipal Center, 6150 Community Drive, ONLY. There will be a bus to transport to Veteran's Memorial Park. Parking is very limited. No handicap parking will be available at Veteran's Memorial Park. Please see a Pony Shuttle Volunteer for assistance.
7. Day visitors should use Chincoteague Municipal Center, 6150 Community Drive. Turn left at the stoplight at the foot of the bridge. Proceed to Chincoteague High School and turn right onto Hallie Whealton Smith Drive. Continue as directed by Town officials. There may be some parking available at the Chincoteague Carnival Grounds, 3648 Main Street. Shuttle stops in front of the Carnival to go to the swim and return behind the Carnival grounds. There is no parking at other pick-up points.
8. Please remember where you are parked. Parking Lot A (Municipal Center), Parking Lot B (Elementary School), Parking Lot C (Island Nature Trail), Parking Lot D (Donald Leonard Park/High School) or Carnival.
9. The shuttles will leave the Municipal Center and pick up in locations along Maddox Boulevard and Main Street. Please look for the Pony Shuttle Signs. There are no stops south of the Carnival.
10. DECISION! Immediately after the swim, two lines will form in the front of Memorial Park (where you were dropped off for the swim). One line is for transportation to the Carnival (where the ponies are going) and one line is for transportation to the Municipal Center, motels and other locations. If you are going to a motel, you will first be transported to the Municipal Center where connections can be made to your lodging.
11. You must be in line to get shuttle transportation at Memorial Park. Please be patient after the swim! In several hours before the swim we transport thousands. We cannot accommodate thousands immediately after the swim. If you paid to park in the Memorial Park area, you will need to walk back to your car as there are no stops at the park after swim site is empty (approximately one hour after swim).
12. Walking from the swim site to the Carnival after the swim is recommended. The distance is approximately 1/2 mile. The walking route is available on the Pony Swim Shuttle Stops Poster below.
13. If you walk from Memorial Park to the pony landing site, you must be back to the front of Memorial Park within 30 minutes of the ponies coming ashore.
14. If you take a shuttle to the Carnival, you will not be able to reload on a shuttle until the SWIM SITE (Memorial Park) is emptied.
15. Buses will begin to load after the ponies arrive at the Carnival. Service from the Carnival will continue until APPROXIMATELY ONE HOUR AFTER THE PONIES ARRIVE.
16. Vehicle travel will be extremely heavy in the Carnival area and throughout the Island after the swim. Several of the roads from the swim site to the Carnival will be closed until after the ponies arrive. (See road closures below). Please do not attempt to go back to your car then drive to the Carnival. You will hold up traffic!
17. A long single-file line will form behind the Carnival immediately after the ponies arrive. The end of the line is to the south of the corral. You must get to the end of the line and work towards the buses. Be sure everyone in your party is counted for loading. The line moves quickly as buses become available.
18. After the swim area is cleared, there will be no further stops at Memorial Park. Buses will only be available behind the Carnival on Willow Street.
19. The last bus leaving from behind the Carnival on Willow Street will be approximately 1 hour after the ponies arrive at the Carnival.
20. Please do not carry large coolers, large strollers, yard/porch chairs or large umbrellas on the buses. Bring only what will fit in your lap.
21. The "Pony Express", the Island's trolley system, will run on Pony Swim day from 8am - 1pm across from the main entrance of the Carnival Grounds on Main Street. The fare is 50¢ per person. View trolley brochure and schedule at www.chincoteaguechamber.com/trolley-schedule/.
22. Buses will run on WEDNESDAY ONLY.
Bus Stops for Pick-up
[Stops are subject to change]
Municipal Center on Community Drive
Day Visitors and Handicapped Visitors should report here. There is no parking at other pick-up points. There will be one bus equipped for handicapped. Please see a Pony Shuttle Volunteer for assistance.
Corner of Deep Hole Road and Maddox Boulevard
Serving Chincoteague Inn, Atlantic Shores Inn & Suites, Sea Hawk Motel, America's Best Value
Corner of Main Street and Taylor Street
Serving Island Resort, Holiday Cottages
Corner of Main Street and Clark Street
Serving Watson House, Lighthouse Inn, Comfort Suites & Hampton Inn
Corner of Main Street and Church Street
At Don's Seafood Restaurant serving Channel Bass Inn & Miss Molly's Inn
Corner of Main Street and Marlin Street
At Fairfield Inn - Before Swim Only
Main Street Between Marina Bay & Waterside Inn
Before Swim Only
Traffic Circle on Maddox Boulevard
At entrance of Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park Camp-Resort serving Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park, Dove Winds, Refuge Inn, Best Western and Days Inn
Closest stop to the Swim Site. After the Park is empty this will not be a stop. (Before and Immediately After Swim Only)
Stop at front of Carnival Grounds before swim. Stop behind Carnival Grounds after swim.
On Wednesday, July 27,2022, Pony Swim Day, starting at approximately 4:30am the following street closures will be in effect:
- Willow Street from Jester Street to Bunting Road
- North bound traffic on Deep Hole Road from Taylor Street to Hallie Whealton Smith Road
- Memorial Park Drive
At 8am, Bunting Road will be closed.
Once the flare goes up and until the ponies have cleared the streets, the following street closures will be in effect:
- Main Street from Jester Street to Beebe Road
- Ridge Road south of Sunset Drive to south of Beebe Road
- Beebe Road
- Eastside Road from Ridge Road to Sunnywood Drive