Date(s) - November 25, 2021
9:00 am - 5:15 pm
Categories No Categories
Fall heralds the return of thousands of waterfowl from their northern breeding grounds to the milder climate of Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge. Enjoy a variety of overwintering ducks, geese, and swans by joining the flocks of visitors who celebrate Thanksgiving Weekend in this special place.
Exclusively from November 25-28, visitors will have extended access to the Wildlife Loop Trail from 9am to dusk.
During limited hours, visitors can also take a 15-mile (round-trip) journey in their personal vehicle along the Service Road. To access this special drive:
- Follow the Wildlife Loop’s one-way traffic pattern to the Service Road entrance. Due to high volume this may take 10-15 minutes.
- You must enter the Service Road between 12pm – 2pm.
- All vehicles are expected to completely exit the Service Road by 4pm.
*Access is subject to change based upon staffing or severe weather.
Tips for Service Road Access:
- Bring your binoculars and a sense of wonder.
- Be kind to wildlife and others.
- Remember: Bicycles are only permitted as far north a D-Dike.
- Be prepared. The drive is 15 miles round-trip; with no restrooms.
- Remain in your vehicle and obey posted speed limits.
- Do not stop for extended periods or impede two-way traffic flows.
- Protect yourself and wildlife by following all refuge rules ad regulations during your visit.