Pony Shuttle Buses
Pony Shuttle Information
1. Shuttles start at 5 a.m. from Municipal Center at 6150 Community Drive. This service is free.
2. Volunteer Guides are available on the buses to assist you. Other Pony Shuttle volunteers will be available at various locations to assist you.
3. Please be prepared for hot and humid conditions at the swim site. Bring plenty of water, sunscreen, and insect repellant. No seating is provided. The swim area at Pony Swim Lane is marshland so wear proper shoes. Flip flops not recommended.
4. Handicapped-tagged vehicles will be allowed access into two front parking lots at Municipal Center at 6150 Community Drive. Very limited parking is available. No handicap parking will be available at Veteran's Memorial Park as in past.
5. Day visitors should go to Municipal Center at 6150 Community Drive for parking and shuttles. There is no parking at other pick-up points.
6. There will be one bus equipped for handicapped. To use the handicapped bus, you must go to the Municipal Center at 6150 Community Drive. Please see a Pony Shuttle Volunteer for assistance.
7. Immediately after the swim, two lines will form in the front of Memorial Park (where you will be dropped off for the swim). One line is for transportation to the Carnival (where the ponies are going), and one line is for transportation to the Municipal Center on Community Drive and other locations.
8. Several buses will go directly to the Carnival Grounds after the swim. Most buses will load at the front of Memorial Park and go to the Municipal Center, then to other stops. Buses will return to Memorial Park to re-load until the swim area is cleared.
9. NO BUSES WILL LOAD behind the Carnival Grounds until the SWIM SITE is emptied. Buses will begin to load after the ponies arrive. Service from the Carnival will continue until approximately 1 hour after the ponies arrive on the Carnival Grounds.
10. Travel will be extremely heavy in the Carnival Grounds area after the swim. Several of the roads from the swim site to the Carnival will be closed until after the ponies arrive. Parking will be limited to the Carnival parking lots. Traffic will clear after the shuttle ends operation.
11. Please be patient after the swim! In several hours before the swim, thousands of people are transported. Thousands can not all be accommodated at one time immediately after the swim.
12. Walking from the swim site to the Carnival after the swim is recommended. The distance is approximately 1/2 mile.
13. If you walk from Memorial Park to the pony landing site, you must be back to the front of Memorial Park within 30 minutes of the ponies coming ashore.
14. A single-file line will form behind the Carnival immediately after the ponies arrive. The end of the line is to the south of the corral. You must get to the end of the line and work toward the buses. Be sure everyone in your party is counted for loading. The line moves quickly as buses become available.
15. After the swim area is cleared, there will be no further stops at Memorial Park. Buses will only be available behind the Carnival Grounds on Willow Street.
16. The last bus leaving from behind the Carnival Grounds on Willow Street will be approximately 1 hour after the ponies arrive at the Carnival.
17. Buses will run on WEDNESDAY ONLY.
18. Please do not carry large coolers or large umbrellas on the buses. Bring only what will fit in your lap.
19. At 11 a.m. the "Pony Express", the island's trolley system, will begin service across from the main entrance of the Carnival Grounds on Main Street. The fare is 25¢ per person. View trolley brochure and schedule.
Bus Stops for Pick-up
[Stops are subject to change]
Municipal Center on Community Drive - Day Visitors and Handicapped Visitors should report here. There is no parking at other pick-up points. There will be one bus equipped for handicapped. Please see a Pony Shuttle Volunteer for assistance.
Corner of Deep Hole Road and Maddox Boulevard
Corner of Main Street and Clark Street
Corner of Main Street and Church Street (Don's Seafood Restaurant)
Corner of Main Street and Marlin Street (Fairfield Inn) - Before Swim Only
Main Street Between Marina Bay & Waterside Inn - Before Swim Only
Traffic Circle on Maddox Boulevard (Chincoteague Chamber of Commerce)
Memorial Park - Closest stop to the Swim Site. After the Park is empty this will not be a stop. (Before and Immediately After Swim Only)
Carnival Grounds- Stop at front of Carnival Grounds before swim. Stop behind Carnival Grounds after swim.