Ker Place, located in Onancock, Va., is the headquarters of the Eastern Shore of Virginia Historical Society. The Federal-period Georgian-style house operates as a museum that is open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. March through December. Volunteer docents offer guided tours of the interior as well as various exhibits.
The house and grounds with lawn and garden also are available for wedding and other special event rentals. This magnificent house was built in 1799 for prosperous merchant farmer John Shepherd Ker and his wife, Agnes Corbin Ker.
Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission describes it as ”the finest and most elaborate Federal mansion on Virginia’s Eastern Shore” and ”one of the Shore’s major architectural landmarks.” The elegant home has been restored to its original appearance as noted in the 1806 John Ker inventory. Visitors will find rich colors, detailed plaster work, and finely crafted woodwork throughout the house. Period antique furnishings create an authentic ambience of plantation life in the early 19th century on the Eastern Shore. The society uses the second floor of the structure as museum exhibit space and its library, archives, and collections spaces.
The museum is closed the third week of December through the third week of March.
The society also owns Wise Cemetery and historic Hopkins & Bro. Store, which houses Mallards at the Wharf waterfront restaurant.
For upcoming events, please click here.
For a complete list of island events and activities, CLICK HERE