This Community Resources page has been developed to assist those affected by the 2018-2019 federal government shutdown. Once the shutdown ends, this page will continue to serve as a resource to those in the community at large if they find they need assistance.
For those interested in making a donation to Government furloughed employees and/or Active Duty U.S. Coast Guard Personnel, please note the following:
“For those interested in making a donation toward Gov’t furloughed employees and or Active Duty CG Personnel here is a quick set of guidelines that may help. Food-dry/perishable, toiletries, dry goods, gift cards can be donated to either the Chief Petty Officers Association (Lead YNC Nora McDonnell 336-2845) or Coast Guard Enlisted Association (Lead YN2 Jessica Melear 336-2852), gift cards, coupons, service amounts can't exceed $20 a time or $50 a yr from one organization per member but a spouse and or dependent can accept the same amount at the same time but must follow the $20/$50 rule as well. Also, the $20/$50 rule is per originator, thus multiple items can be collected for one entity as long as the donators follow the $20/$50 policy. The offer must be available for all CG mbr's, CASH IS A NO GO. All offers must be vetted by the CG District 5 Legal office, some offers that haven’t been submitted or vetted through the Coast Guard Legal office must do so first, in this situation we ask for your patience as this may take a few days but they are working diligently to review all offers.
Alternate/part time job offers are allowed as long as their appropriate for Military members and offered to all CG members to participate in. The interested CG member must receive approval through their Chain of Command and it cannot affect their CG responsibilities or their CG performance.”
We thank those who are offering services and encourage anyone interested in offering services to email email@example.com so it can be added to this page.
On the Island
Chincoteague Church of God | 5252 Woodland Drive | 757-336-5161
- Food Pantry offering non-perishables. Please bring military/federal ID.
- First Wednesday Community Dinner serves a free dinner from 6pm - 7pm. Menu.
Chincoteague Island Arts Organization | 4074 Main Street | 757-336-6109
- Offering free admission to "Friday Nights at the Movies" at the Island Theatre for members of the Coast Guard and furloughed federal employees and contractors until the government shutdown ends. You may bring an accompanying guest or immediate family member for free as well.
- Request that all attendees who are able to do so, bring donations of canned goods and non-perishable food items to "Friday Nights at the Movies" at the Island Theatre. Donations will be sent to the local food bank to bolster supplies helping individuals and families affected by the government shutdown.
Chincoteague Island Family YMCA
- Free membership dues for furloughed government employees
- Current members affected by shutdown will not be billed for their membership dues for the duration of the government shutdown, with proof of documentation. For more information, contact Katie O'Shea at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chincoteague Island Library | 4077 Main Street | 757-336-3460
Eastern Shore Public Library, including the Chincoteague Island Library, will waive fines for federal and federal contract employees affected by the government shutdown and their dependents. Affected employees need only provide documentation of their situation and employment. For more information, contact the Accomac library at (757) 787-3400 and ask for the circulation manager or call the Chincoteague Island Library at 757-336-3460.
Christ United Methodist Church | 6253 Church Street | 757-336-6394
- Manna Cafe serves a free hot lunch every Monday from 11am - 1pm in the Social Hall. Menu. Also offers a “Take Table” with food and toiletries items to help those in need. For more information, contact Fran Lytle at 908-812-4857 or email@example.com
- Opportunity Shop Thrift Store and Outreach Ministry, 6254 Church Street, open Monday - Saturday 10am - 1pm offering low cost clothing and linens.
- Food Pantry offering non-perishables to the public
- Blessing Box located on the west side of the church building offering non-perishable items to the public
- Emergency fund to assist with utility bills such as electric, gas and propane (available to island residents only)
- Hospice Support Group meets the 2nd Tuesday of each month from 2:30pm - 4pm.
Crusty Crab Seafood Shack | 2118 Harbor Drive | 757-824-5437
- Show your US Coast Guard ID and we will give you a 20% discount on your bill during the shutdown.
Kiwanis Club of Chincoteague | South Main Street opposite Carnival Grounds | 757-894-0846
Vast array of pre-owned furniture and medical equipment sold at a great discount to all workers affected by government shutdown. Please call for details.
Lewis Home Solutions | 757-894-2807
Offering part time work to aid any Coast Guard personnel. Contact Bryan Lewis.
Meghan Oliver, Long and Foster Chincoteague Island Real Estate
- Has a prepaid gift card at the Island Creamery for furloughed workers. Go and have an ice cream on her! Gift card is limited so go while it lasts. Make sure you mention this post when ordering.
St. Andrew The Apostle Catholic Church | 6288 Church Street | 757-336-5432
- Food assistance available
- Financial assistance available by appointment only. Appointment times are on Thursdays from 1pm - 3pm.
Suze Q's Shear Magic | 6357 Maddox Boulevard | 757-336-6515
- Free haircuts to men and women of the United States Coast Guard-
The Ropewalk Chincoteague | 6262 Marlin Street | 757-336-0512
- Offering a 25% food check discount to furloughed Government employees during the government shutdown (not including specials). Please bring your government ID and show it to your server or bartender to receive discount.
Union Baptist Church | 6365 Church Street | 757-336-5018
- Food Closet open the 3rd Thursday of each month from 10am - 12pm for island residents only.
Beyond the Island
Economic Development & Small Business Resource Index
Accomack-Northampton Planning District Commission | 23372 Front Street, Accomac, VA 23301 | 757-787-2936
- ANPDC Small Business Funding Summary Document a-npdc.org/economic-development-resources/
- ANPDC Water Trails Website
Foodbank of the Eastern Shore | 24530 Coastal Boulevard, Tasley | 757-787-2557
- Dry and canned goods and refrigerated meats available. Open Tuesdays & Thursdays 9am - 12pm and 1pm - 3pm.
New Beginnings United Methodist Church | 31452 Chincoteague Road, New Church
- Operation Help distributes food provided by the Foodbank of the Eastern Shore on the 2nd Saturday, monthly, from 10am - 12pm
2020 Census: Be a Census Taker. An important way to support your community
- Contact Theresa.A.Gross@2020census.gov. Apply online at 2020census.gov/jobs or call 855-JOB-2020.