THANKS FOR A GREAT 50 DAYS!
Although the 50 Years of Love celebration has ended on Chincoteague Island,
there are still great events taking place on the shore as part of the
Eastern Shore Tourism Commission’s 50 Days to Explore the Shore;
including the Chincoteague Oyster Festival on October 12th!
Click on the link to learn more.
CELEBRATE 50 YEARS OF LOVE ON CHINCOTEAGUE ISLAND!!!!
2019 marks the 50th anniversary of the “Virginia Is For Lovers” brand and Virginia Tourism Corporation is celebrating with a “50 Years of Love” campaign focused on special experiences across the state through local activations like events, programs and special offerings – that will last 50 days.
Chincoteague will be celebrating this great milestone with events, activities and promotions that will take place from June 21 to August 10…so come celebrate with us on Virginia’s only resort island! Chincoteague is the perfect getaway that is close to home, yet miles away from ordinary.
In addition to all the great celebrations hosted by the chamber and our business community below, there is plenty to do during your visit. Explore the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge on miles of hiking and biking trails, kayak its pristine waters to see amazing wildlife; including the world famous Chincoteague Ponies or take in the breathtaking views from atop the Assateague Lighthouse.
Relax with your toes in the sand or hit the water and surf the Atlantic Ocean waves at Assateague Island National Seashore. Feel the wind in your hair on a boat cruise or sailing adventure. Cast a rod and catch the ‘Big One’ on an inland or off-shore fishing charter. Discover our rich history by visiting our museums or taking an island history tour or ecotour. Partake in delectable seafood and local fare from one of our many charming restaurants or eateries.
Find that perfect treasure by shopping our eclectic shops and art galleries. Experience this and so much more on a little island seven miles long and a mile and a half wide. Are itineraries your style? We have them too!
Come celebrate 50 Years of Love with us! Check out the island’s schedule of events to make your visit complete. Learn more about 50 Years of Love with the Chincoteague Chamber of Commerce 50 Years of Love Grant Award and Chincoteague Chamber of Commerce Celebrates “50 Years of Love” with Virginia Tourism Corporation ~Celebrating 50th anniversary of ‘Virginia is for Lovers’~ press releases.
CHECK BACK OFTEN!
Our business community is currently working on exciting events, activities and promotions
for our 50 Years of Love celebration on Chincoteague to make your visit most memorable.
ONGOING EVENTS, ACTIVITIES & PROMOTIONS – JUNE 21 TO AUGUST 10
- Take a selfie outside the BEST WESTERN CHINCOTEAGUE with their 1969 Volkswagen bus stand-up complete with CI ponies!
- Stop by BLUE CRAB TREASURES to purchase your commemorative Pony Love Shirts featuring the Chincoteague Chamber of Commerce LOVE chairs, Chincoteague Ponies Rainbow Warrior, Rumor Has It, Pixie Dust and Ace and 50 Years of Love logo.
- Snap the ultimate selfie with the CHINCOTEAGUE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE 50 Years of Love mural created by CAPT BARRY! UPDATE! – The mural will be on display at the CHINCOTEAGUE CENTER from July 6 – August 3, so stop in during the Freedom Festival, Chincoteague Island Blueberry Festival, Buckaroo Bingo and Opus Live in Concert to snap your pic! Stop in the chamber office for free giveaways like a special edition Virginia Is For Lovers bumper sticker and 50 Years of Love postcard; which you can send to someone special and tell them why you LOVE Chincoteague Island!
50 Years of Love mural has been moved to the Chincoteague Center!
- CHINCOTEAGUE ISLAND HOUSE OF JERKY will be partnering with Beach Road Roundup to offer 10% off your purchase with receipt from each other’s business. Chincoteague Island House of Jerky will also be giving away a free burlap bag with every purchase of $50 and selling shirts incorporating the 50 Years of Love logo.
- Expand your love of reading at the CHINCOTEAGUE ISLAND LIBRARY and read a book from their “ 50 Books We Love About Our Region”.
- Stay at COMFORT SUITES during the 50 Days Of Love and receive a coupon for $50 off a future visit.
- DOCKSIDE PROPERTIES is proud to participate in Virginia Tourism Corporation’s celebration of “50 Years of Love, Virginia Is For Lovers”. Beginning June 21, Dockside Properties will be giving away one mystery item a day for 50 days!
- Challenge your knowledge of the island and learn along the way with the HISTORIC MAIN STREET MERCHANTS ’50 Things To Do On Chincoteague’ Scavenger Hunt. Pick up a playing card from any participating merchant with a PLAY HERE sign on their door. Find a sign at each location that suggests something fun to do while you are here. Write each idea down on your playing card. Have fun hunting and enjoying some of the fun things to do that you will have listed on your playing card, even if you don’t get to visit all 50 merchants. If you do get to all 50 merchants, have your card validated at Blue Crab Treasures to receive a winners list of limited time special offers from each of the 50 merchants you have visited.
- Virginia is for Cat, Puppy & Pony Lovers! Stop by one of the island’s newest stores — IN A CAT’S EYE — where cat, puppy and pony lovers can find over 50 unique gifts for themselves, their pet sitters, and their precious pets. Featuring CI shirts and hats with paw prints, and pony toys for your puppy! You’ll find cat, puppy and pony wind spinners, handmade pony-shaped catnip toys, pet supplies and so much more! Best of all, there are people treats too — Gelato & Sorbetto Push Pops and handcrafted Ice Cream Sandwiches. Plus, get a free gift when you spend over $50!
- Stay at ISLAND RESORT now through June 30 for 2 nights and get the 3rd free!
- Share your Chincoteague love story with KEY WEST COTTAGES ON THE CHINCOTEAGUE BAY for a chance to win a two night stay, dinner for 2, a bottle of wine and flowers. Entries must be received on their Facebook page from June 21 – Aug 10 during the 50 Days of Love. Drawing will be held August 11th. Share your special Chincoteague moments for a chance to win! A few sentences, pictures or a paragraph will qualify, but remember to like and follow us on Facebook.
- Learn all about the world famous pony Misty and her foal Stormy at the MUSEUM OF CHINCOTEAGUE ISLAND‘s ’50 Ways to Love Misty’ exhibit featuring Misty, Stormy, books, Breyer horse models and so much more.
- Stay at THE WATERSIDE INN between June 21 and August 10 and receive 50% off any advance purchase on a one or more nights stay valid from October 13, 2019 – December 31, 2019. Call today! 877-870-3434.
- JUN 21 – Come celebrate the first day of summer and the kick off to Chincoteague’s 50 Years of Love celebration with the CHINCOTEAGUE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE in ROBERT N. REED DOWNTOWN WATERFRONT PARK, 4083 Main Street, for an outdoor concert featuring the music of Front Page News from 7pm – 9pm. Enjoy all Chincoteague has to offer during the day, then either dine at one of our amazing restaurants/eateries or pack a picnic dinner to eat in the park while enjoying music under the stars! Don’t forget your lawn chairs or blanket. HISTORIC MAIN STREET MERCHANTS’ ASSOCIATION will be providing all the fixings for you to cook up delicious s’mores on the grills, MOVEMENT MORTGAGE will be providing bottled water to quench your thirst and the CHINCOTEAGUE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE will have Virginia Tourism Corporation giveaways and limited edition 50 Years of Love t-shirts featuring artwork by CAPT. BARRY for sale! This is a family-friendly event and alcohol is prohibited. Come see why Virginia Is For Lovers and sing along and dance the night away with us! Learn more.
- JUN 21-23 – Classic Camper & Car Show Weekend at CHINCOTEAGUE ISLAND VA, KOA. Whether you’ve got an Airstream or a hot rod, flaunt your baby during our classic car and camper weekend. If you really want to show off you can sign up for the car show, which is also open to the public! Friday – Enjoy Outdoor games. Saturday – Car Show from 12pm – 4pm. Free admission. Open to the public. Vendors. Live Music. Food Truck. **All activities are subject to change. Learn more.
- JUN 29 – VIRGINIA WELCOME CENTER AT NEW CHURCH POP UP BASH EVENT. Learn more about the 50 Years of Love celebration on Virginia’s Eastern Shore at the Virginia Welcome Center at New Church, 3420 Lankford Highway, New Church, VA 23415 from 10am – 2pm. The event will be held rain or shine with inside and outside vendors who will be promoting the towns and events on the Eastern Shore. This is a very special chance, in a unique environment, to tell the story of the entire Eastern Shore and entice travelers to visit our hamlet villages and experience the gems of the Shore. Food, fun and giveaways!
- JUL 6-7 – Freedom Festival – An explosion of art and crafts from all over the shore including a 50 states scavenger hunt at CHINCOTEAGUE CENTER. An explosion of Arts & Crafts! Painters, potters, photographers, jewelers, artisans, craftsmen and craftswomen from all over the Eastern Shore are coming out to display their products at our FIRST EVER center sponsored festival. Come enjoy the fun, rain or shine! Bring the whole family. $3 one-day admission, $5 two-day admission, kids under 12 FREE! Vendors contact us today for booth pricing and availability. Learn more.
- JUL 19 – It’s a birthday party and you are invited! Come celebrate Misty’s 73rd Birthday featuring the CHINCOTEAGUE PONY DRILL TEAM, games, food and fun at CHINCOTEAGUE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, 6733 Maddox Boulevard from 2pm – 4pm. BILLY BEEBE will be on the chamber porch with Grandpa Beebe’s branding iron autographing Misty of Chincoteague books while the Chincoteague Pony Drill Team will be in the yard with Misty III, who will eat a special cake to celebrate Misty’s birthday! The first 100 children will receive a party bag filled with horse themed & summer fun goodies. Games, cupcakes and refreshments, too! Learn more.
- JUL 22-27 –Come snap a selfie with Virginia Tourism Corporation’s traveling LOVEwork which will be located in front of the pony corral during the CHINCOTEAGUE VOLUNTEER FIRE COMPANY‘s 94th Annual Chincoteague Volunteer Fireman’s Carnival in between enjoying rides, games, fun and food – Chincoteague Island style! Come ready for a night of great carnival food (including carnival pizza, crab cakes, clam fritters, oyster fritters, fried Oreos and freshly made caramel popcorn), fun rides and games for all ages and live entertainment on the stage for you enjoy or dance the night away to. Try your luck at Bingo too. But wait….it gets better! Once the world famous Chincoteague Ponies arrive in the corral on July 24th after the 94th Annual Pony Swim, you can take memorable pictures with them and the LOVEwork! See why we LOVE Chincoteague ponies! This photo op will only be available July 24-26 as the ponies head back to neighboring Assateague Island around 9am on Friday, July 26 until next year. Learn more about Pony Swim.
JUL 22 – Attend the CHINCOTEAGUE PONY DRILL TEAM Open House at Kerkaken Acres, 14086 Winterville Road, Bloxom, VA 23308 (about a 30 minute drive from Chincoteague) from 4pm-7pm. Come see the Chincoteague Pony Drill Team and the Allen Family Misty descendant ponies including Misty’s Morning Glory, Irish Mist, Icicle, Misty III, Ember, Red Dawn, Thor, Heart of the Storm and Audra Rain. Teaguer and Cowboy will be there too! Enjoy pony rides, face painting, stable tours, vendors and food. Pony Show and demonstrations put on by the Drill Team will take place. You can also sign up for riding lessons for that week, meet vendors, the ponies and members of the drill team. Ask about foal training and boarding while you are there. See event flyer for directions.
- JUL 23 – Buckaroo Bingo – Pony themed bingo event at CHINCOTEAGUE CENTER in partnership with the MUSEUM OF CHINCOTEAGUE ISLAND. Join us for 20 games of Pony themed Bingo for only $20! Little Buckaroo Bingo Boards available for $5 with purchase of full admission. There will be concessions available for purchase and fun for the whole family! 21 Prizes Available which are ALL Chincoteague themed. There will be something for ALL ages! Learn more.
- AUG 3 – Enjoy an evening of live Motown music with Opus in concert at 7pm at CHINCOTEAGUE CENTER. It’s time to get down with Motown! Live music, concession stand, cash bar. Come have fun with the whole family! Adult tickets $15 ahead of time; $20 at the door. Kid tickets $5 ahead of time; $10 at the door. For questions or to pre-order tickets, call Chincoteague Center at 757-336-0614.
When you are in town, keep an eye out for the 50 Years of Love Participating Merchant flyer in participating business windows.
CHAMBER MEMBER INFORMATION
Promote 50 Years of Love and bring guests to your business!
Virginia Tourism Partner Assets – includes campaign standards, banner ads, images
Chincoteague’s 50 Years of Love Video – can be placed on your website or social media pages